The Art School of Columbia County is committed to the safety and well being of all students, volunteers, faculty staff and visitors. As such, we have developed COVID policies to keep everyone safe in this creative environment. Please check our most recent policies in the Policies and FAQs section for more information. Thank you for your patience and support.
POLICIES AND FAQs
- We continue to strictly limit class sizes.
- All students are required to be vaccinated in order to enroll, take classes, and participate in on-site programming.
- Any individual who feels the need to wear a mask is encouraged to do so at their own discretion.
- Any staff, faculty member, student or volunteer exhibiting Covid-like symptoms OR if they have come in contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID will not be admitted to class and must inform the Director immediately.
- The Art School, through the class registration process will maintain records that include, name, address, and phone number for each participant in the event that contact tracing is required.
- We request no food or drink inside the building.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided inside the building.
- These policies will be reviewed by the board and are subject to change and updates.
In securing these steps, the Art School of Columbia County maintains a safe and on-going creative environment for all staff, teachers, students and board members. Thank you for your cooperation during these challenging times and we look forward to your participation.
Student Policies and Guidelines:
- Students who are members will receive a discount on most classes. In some instances as in special events, member discounts may not apply. See membership guidelines.
- Students may enroll by either registering and paying online or by mailing a check to the Art School of Columbia County at 1198 County Route 21C, Ghent NY, 12075. Be sure to include the class name on your check. When registering by mail, allow up to 10 days for your payment to be received and processed. Payment must be received at or prior to the first class session. There will be no exceptions.
- For both online and mail-in registrations, please be sure to provide a correct email and physical mailing address.
- Material lists are included on the website, located by the class description.
- If a class is full, the student will be placed on a waiting list and we will make every effort to let you know if space opens.
- There is a $30 charge for returned checks or fees incurred by a student’s credit card issues, plus any bank fees incurred by ASCC.
- Payment must be made for the full amount of the course as published on the website. We cannot accept partial payments for a selected class or classes in a course.
- Special discount rates for members apply to all memberships starting September 1, 2021 and later. Memberships are in effect for one year. Registrations for courses at the membership rate will be verified with our records.
Inclement Weather Closures:
Every attempt will be made to e-mail students in the event of inclement weather to let them know about a class cancellation. Please make sure that when you register for a class you include your e-mail address to .
Cancellations and Refunds:
- If a class is canceled due to insufficient enrollment, the enrolled students will be notified by the end of the week prior to the start of the class. ASCC makes every effort to reach the enrollment minimum for classes.
- A refund for a class canceled by ASCC for lack of enrollment will be made by the same means that the payment was made (i.e., Paypal). The refund will be made, less service fees within a 30 day period from the date of the first class. A student may also choose to receive a credit for a future class which will be honored for up to one year.
- Students may cancel their enrollment for personal reasons and request a refund, minus processing fees, up to three weeks prior to the first session of the course. Requests must be by email or in writing. Refunds cannot be made after three weeks before the date of the first class but class credit will be considered.
- If ASCC must cancel an individual class due to faculty illness or other reason, every effort will be made to reschedule the class. At the discretion of ASCC, a partial credit may be made to be applied toward a future course.
Where are you located?
Most classes are held at the Art School’s building which is a restored former schoolhouse dating back to 1842. The school is located at 1198 County Route 21C, Ghent NY 12075 at the intersection of Route 21C and Harlemville Road, in Harlemville, close to the Hawthorne Valley School and Farm Store. It is about three minutes east of the Taconic Parkway using the Harlemville Road exit. Please note GPS does not always correctly locate the school. Some classes are held off-site and will be indicated in the class description as well as from the class’s teacher.
How do I know if I am taking the right art class for me?
It’s up to the individual student, but you are welcome to call the Art School and discuss your questions and needs with our staff. Many students find they end up enjoying something initially out of their comfort zone. The Art School offers a uniquely supportive and friendly environment to all. Be bold and explore art: the decision is ultimately yours!
Do you offer classes for Children?
The Art School is dedicated to providing exciting explorations in art for children and teens year round. The Art School also works collaboratively with many area organizations. We have received grants in the past and continue to seek more that will enable us to provide additional programming opportunities and partnerships.
How do I get the Art Supplies I need?
As of the fall of 2021, membership includes the benefit of receiving a discount at selected art supply and book stores including The Spotty Dog, JWS, Arlene’s Artist Materials and the Chatham Bookstore. Instructors will provide a list of supplies required for the course.
Does ASCC offer scholarships?
Limited scholarships are available. Call for information.
How do I get more involved and give back?
ASCC welcomes volunteers! Please contact us for a listing of specific needs we have, or let us develop a volunteer project together. Contact us: . Please consider giving back through making a donation.
How do I become a faculty member at ASCC?
We are excited to discover talented instructors and we’re open to developing new courses. We seek faculty who can teach throughout the year and are located in our region. The hiring process includes a review of artwork and an in-person interview. Contact ASCC’s Director, Nancy Maurice Rogers, for more information at:
- The Art School of Columbia County encourages individuals and families to help further our mission by becoming an Art School member. Joining with us in our community of artists in this way helps support our classes and events and outreach into the community.
- We welcome two forms of membership as follows:
- Individual – $50.
- more than 1 individual in a household / family – $100.
- As a benefit of membership you will receive:
- Discounts on most classes/workshops we offer.
- Discounts at participating art supply and bookstores with your membership card.
- The opportunities to show your artwork in our annual / semi-annual faculty and member art show. [The number of pieces to be exhibited will be determined at the time of the specific exhibit criteria].
- Membership fees are non-refundable under any circumstances. If a member wishes to terminate their membership, the prorated amount for the current year will be considered a donation to the Art School.