Where are you located?
Most classes are held at ASCC’s Old Schoolhouse, a restored structure which dates to 1842. The school is located at 1198 Rt 21C (the intersection of Rt. 21C and Harlemville Road). Please note GPS does not always correctly locate the school. As part of ASCC’s Art on Wheels initiative, some classes are held off-site – they will be listed accordingly.
How do I know if I am taking the right art class for me?
It is up to the individual student, but calling the Art School, and discussing your questions and needs with our staff is a good place to start. In many cases, we can direct you to our faculty interviews, and listen to what is your preferred teaching style and suggest a course for you. We also offer a personal Portfolio Review if you’d like a one-on-one appointment. Many students find they end up enjoying something out of their comfort zone. Be bold and explore: the decision to enroll is ultimately yours!
Do you offer classes for children?
We teach grant-based programs for children in schools, libraries, and community centers for grades K-12. Please contact us if you are an educator, librarian, or liaison for a community group interested in hosting one of our programs. The classes held in the at the Art School (the Old Schoolhouse) are for adults and many are for older teens (age 15 and up): please see each course listing for age requirements. Please contact us for a copy of ASCC’s Child Safety Policies.
In case of bad weather, how are snow days handled?
For our winter semester, each class lists a snow date. Students are asked to hold this day in reserve for possible re-scheduling. Normally, if the Taconic Hills School District (http://www.taconichills.k12.ny.us/district/closings.html) is closed, classes at ASCC will be cancelled. In the case of evening or weekend classes, ASCC will post on our website if a class is cancelled due to bad weather no later than 2 hours prior to the start of the class. It is the student’s responsibility to check for cancellations (please hit refresh to see the latest information). In the event ASCC cancels a class, the class will automatically be rescheduled to the snow date. Please see our complete policy on inclement weather, below.
How do I get the art supplies I need?
A supply list is provided when you enroll, or shortly thereafter; local art supply shops will be suggested. When purchasing supplies, be sure to call ahead to see if they have your items in stock. Keep receipts or hold off on purchasing non-returnable supplies until you know the class is running.
In some cases, student may purchase supplies directly from faculty members, or supplies are sometimes included in a class fee. Your class listing will make note of this.
What about lunch?
For longer workshops, please bring a lunch, or food is available at the nearby Hawthorne Valley Farm Store (a short walk from the school). There is coffee, tea, and water available at the school as part of our hospitality. Please take all food items and containers (including recyclables) home with you. Please check with your instructor to see if they would prefer you did not have food where you are working.
Does ASCC offer gift certificates?
Yes! Gift certificates are available in any amount, and are good for one year. Please contact us for details.
Does ASCC offer scholarships?
Scholarships are available for all of our classes, and up to 90% of tuition can be covered based on need. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
How do I get more involved and give back?
ASCC welcomes volunteers! Please contact us for a listing of specific needs we have, or let us develop a volunteer program together – contact us: . We offer our classes far below the actual cost to present them: please consider giving back through making a donation or sponsoring a student scholarship. Learn more about other ways to support ASCC.
How do I become a faculty member at ASCC?
We are excited to work with new faculty and open to developing new courses. We seek faculty who may teach 4 semesters a year (winter-fall) and who live and work in our region. The hiring process includes a review of artwork and in-person interview. Learn more about the application process here, and contact ASCC’s Executive Director for more information: .
Student Policies and Guidelines:
- Students may enroll either by registering and paying on-line via credit card, or sending in the form found in ASCC’s brochures along with payment by either check or credit card (see brochure for further details).
- When enrolling, please be sure to double-check that you have provided the correct email and best phone number to reach you at in event of an emergency.
- Upon registering on-line, students will receive an email acknowledging their enrollment from ASCC within 48 hours in most cases, along with information about supplies. Please note that during holidays there might be a slightly longer reply time.
- When sending in registration by mail, please wait up to 10 days for your payment to be received and processed.
- There is a $25 charge for all returned checks or fees incurred by a student’s credit card issues, plus any bank fees incurred by ASCC.
- Students will find out no later than the Monday prior to the class start date if there is sufficient enrollment to have a class run (i.e. students in Tuesday classes will find out the day before). Students may also request updates on whether or not the minimum enrollment is met prior to this time. In some cases, if only one more student is needed to have a class run, ASCC staff may ask for students to wait a few more days to try to obtain sufficient enrollment. Your understanding is appreciated.
- If a class is full, students may email the school to be placed on a waiting list. ASCC will make every effort to let you know if a slot opens, or let you know when the class is next scheduled.
Inclement Weather Closures:
- Normally, if the Taconic Hills School District (http://www.taconichills.k12.ny.us/district/closings.html) is closed, classes at ASCC will be cancelled.
- Winter Semester courses do have one “snow day” built into the schedule, and faculty and students are asked to hold this day in reserve.
- If the course cannot be made up on the scheduled snow date due to ASCC being closed due to yet another storm, students will be refunded part of their tuition for the incomplete class or may have a tuition credit (see Refunds, below).
- If inclement weather affects an evening course (and the School District has not yet made a cancellation) the ASCC will post this information on our website no later than 2 hours before the start of class (be sure to hit “refresh” on your browser to see the latest updates).
- Every effort will be made to email students whenever possible, but it is the student’s responsibility to check ASCC’s website to see if a class is cancelled due to weather.
- ASCC is unable to refund tuition for students deciding not to attend classes or who are unable to make the listed snow date.
- To help keep classes flowing smoothly and minimize interruptions, students are asked to arrive promptly. If you are unable to make a class, it is helpful (but not required) to email ASCC in advance and ASCC will pass this message on to your instructor.
- If students are unable to attend a given class, they may request make-up work or brief individual guidance from faculty immediately prior to or after class, but please understand that this is at the faculty’s discretion.
- Please help keep our school ready for the next class: clean up your workspace at the end of class and take home all food containers and recyclables (even empty). Thank you!
- Students may request a full refund or tuition transfer of their registration fees up to three weeks prior to the start of class. Please put all requests for a refund in writing (email is preferred).
- Due to faculty needing to be paid and costs associated with running our classes, there are no refunds or tuition transfers offered after three weeks prior to the start of class nor once a class starts. Thank you for understanding.
- If a class is cancelled by ASCC, you will receive notice and be offered a refund or class tuition credit. If you request a refund, a refund check for the full amount will be mailed to you by ASCC.
- If you request class tuition credit, the full amount may be used for one year after the start date of your initial class. After one year, unused or unclaimed funds will be credited to ASCC’s scholarship program or used for other needs.
- Partial Classes: Normally, ASCC does not offer partial payment for classes if a student cannot make all class dates. If ASCC must cancel an individual class due to faculty illness or other reason under ASCC’s purview (i.e. water pipes burst in building), ASCC may offer a partial class credit which may be applied towards a future class, sent as a refund, or a make-up class may be offered at ASCC’s discretion.
ASCC reserves the right to make any changes to its policies and tuition rates. Any changes will be posted. Thank you.