Giving back by Volunteering at ASCC:
ASCC’s volunteers are a critical part of allowing us to present our rich and diverse programming. Projects include getting ready for exhibits, assistance in preparing kits and supplies for our children’s programs, assistance with mailings and publicity, setting up for special events, and welcoming guests to our exhibits and receptions.
Internships: students age 18 and up and those seeking a career in Arts Administration are encouraged to learn more about ASCC’s Internship and Trainee programs.
We’d love to work with you! Please contact us if you can assist with any (or several) of the following:
- January 2019: Helping paint some of our gallery walls (interior latex paint) – all supplies provided. Helping sort and prepare kids art project materials. Helping organize kids art supplies.
- January-February 2019: help with light repair work (moving wooden shelves, hanging curtain rods, touch-up work). If you have tools, that is helpful, but not required.
- January/February/March 2019: help sorting and packing seeds we’ve collected for our “Help Plant the Seeds of Creativity” Seed Sale- 1-2 hours per session
- February 14, 2019: 12- 2 pm – ASCC Volunteer Appreciation Party for all 2017 volunteers
- April 2019: helping set up and greet people for our ARTalks receptions (Sunday afternoons 2-4 pm) – 2 hours per ARTalk
- May 2019: Spring Members’ Show — hanging the art exhibit and prep work on Thursday May 16 and Friday May 17. We can also use help setting up for our silent auction: 1-3 hours
- May 18, 2019: help with Spring Members’ Show Reception – 5-7 pm. Greeting visitors, sharing programs, helping promote Silent Auction.
- March-June 2019: Preparing art supplies and packing art kits for our spring & summer Art in the Library programs in schools & community libraries – 1-2 hours per session
- June-September 2019: preparing art supplies for our work with the elderly (Art & Memories)- 1-3 hours per session
- Posters and class brochure distribution: late February, late April, mid-August, and late October. We have a list of places we post and distribute brochures in the Chatham, Kinderhook/Valatie, Hillsdale, and Hudson area. For example, stopping in various locations in Hudson up and down Warren Street is about a 1 1/2 hour walk (great way to work in errands and a bit of walking!).
- September 6, 2019: 5-7 pm – help set up and greet visitors to our Frame & Canvas Sale Preview Party – stop in to help from 1-3 hours (emailing in advance helps us plan, thank you!)
- September 7, 2019: 9 am – 5 pm and Sunday September 8: help greet visitors and guide them to purchase art supplies at our Frame & Canvas Sale (1-3 hour shifts) – a great fit for someone who knows art supplies or about antiques, frames, etc. but we can also provide training
- November 2019: Fall Student-Faculty Art Show — hanging art and prep work on Thursday Nov 14 and Friday Nov 15.
- November 16, 2019 (5-7 pm): greeting visitors to our Fall Members’ Show – 2 hours
- Year-round: about 1-3 hours per project. Communications assistance – getting our newsletters and gallery reception invitations ready for mailing
- December 2019: helping greet guests during our gallery hours and One Hour Art classes, 12-4 pm
- Year-round: about 10-15 hours of assistance total: helping organize our art reference library. Can be broken into shorter sessions.
- Year-round: Board service. We seek motived, service-oriented individuals who would like to ensure art is part of our community. Serving as an ASCC Board member is a great way to be connected to a dynamic group of volunteers whose governance of ASCC ensures our organization serves the needs of our community. Serving on ASCC’s Board is an excellent opportunity to enhance your community connections in the arts, build the public service portion of your resume, and give back to our community. ASCC’s Board meets 6 times a year and Board service includes some additional committee meetings and fundraising.
- Assistance with our children’s programs and work with the elderly is open to highly-dedicated volunteers who are committed to participating in training, undergoing a background check, and make a commitment to volunteer for a series of programs over a season (i.e. 3-6 programs in the spring, summer or fall).
- Please contact us for a listing of additional needs we have or let us develop a volunteer program together: .
- Volunteers are an important part of ASCC. Please note all volunteer projects are coordinated and managed by ASCC staff. ASCC volunteers are expected to reflect the professional standards of ASCC and work in a collaborative manner at all times.
With our thanks: ASCC volunteers who accrue volunteer time will be part of our Volunteer Gratitude Program, and receive a special invitation to our annual Volunteer Recognition Party and a complimentary ticket to our Frame & Canvas Sale Preview Party.