This workshop will help you prepare to sketch outdoors as we learn how to capture a sense of place on paper. We will learn techniques of over-layering watercolor onto pencil and pen sketches, and may include notations and text as part of our art-making. Whether you are looking for renewed inspiration or hoping to build your artistic skills, this class will set you on a journey of discovery that will cultivate a sense of wonder and deepen your understanding and appreciation of the world around you. Class will be tailored to various skill levels.
- Pencils: HB, B, or 2B
- Eraser: kneaded eraser or white vinyl eraser
- Paper: sketch pad suitable for drawing (8×10” or larger recommended), as well as paper made for watercolor
- Pen: any waterproof black pen
- Watercolor: small 12-color set of watercolors (pans preferred to tubes, but tube are OK)
- Brushes: small and a medium round brush made for watercolor
- Paper towels and small soft rag
- Jam jar or small cup to hold water.
Level/age: some drawing experience is helpful / age 15 and up
Feature image: “Galls” by Jean Mackay, image courtesy of the artist.