Experience all the colors of spring! We will work from reference photos, or if weather permits, by creating art en plein air (outdoors). Learn the use of color, composition and overall principles of design with stylistic diversity is encouraged.
The goal of this class is to learn how to evaluate the landscape (working outside en plein air if weather permits, or indoors if weather is cool). Learn to create a composition on canvas inspired by direct observation. In addition, students will learn how to control and manipulate oil paints on canvas, composition, color control, surface textures, brushwork and palette knife techniques. We will also explore new techniques and methods of applying paint to achieve varied textures to canvas. While some background in painting is recommended, all skill levels are welcome.
Level/age: beginning (with some painting experience) and intermediate – ages 18 & up
Students will work on one 16″ x 20″ canvas each class session.
Students Will Be Using Oil Paints – please bring the following colors for a Basic Palette:
- Titanium Or Zinc White
- Cadmium Red (Hue)*
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Prussian Blue
- Cobalt Blue (Hue)*
- Ultramarine Violet
- Sap Green
- Thalo Green
- Lemon Yellow
- Cadmium Yellow Medium (Hue)*
- Cadmium Orange (Hue)*
- Yellow Ochre
- Raw Umber
- Burnt Sienna
*Note: “Hue” Colors Are Significantly Less Expensive Than The Pure Colors And Are Acceptable Substitutes.
- Stripper Brush (Optional) for fine detail
- Blenders (Fans, Etc,) Optional
- Bristle # 2, 4,
- Rounds #2
- Palette (To Mix Your Paints)
- Stretched Canvas(Not Canvas Board) Or Masonite Board/Panel With A Minimum Measurement Of 16″X20″ – Students Should Expect To Have One Canvas Per Week (i.e. 3 Week Session = 3 Canvases)
- Reference photos of favorite landscapes – please use photos you have created, not another artist’s work
- Odorless Mineral Spirits (must have for indoor use) – please take all solvents home in a closed container
- Plastic Shopping Bag For Storing Wet Brushes and taking home wet/solvent rags
- Paint Rags
- Water (Optional)
Student feedback: “HM is an extraordinary artist who has an incredible color memory and a wonderful capacity to give helpful one-on-one guidance to each student as he/she requests it.”
Want to learn more? Read about HM’s approach to teaching in our interview with him.
Image: “Olana Autum” oil on canvas by HM Saffer, II, courtesy of the artist.