Delve into creative, imaginative expression – will learn new approaches to image making and re-think old habits and experiment with different media. Head into abstraction using water-based media. Image-making is the most natural, and innate form of human expression. In this class we will explore our own personal response to nature with color, shape and line. Bring a natural object that moves you, and let’s experiment with the feelings it evokes. By “seeing” it and responding to it without the need to represent it visually, we can create truly personal, authentic images. We will free up creative energy and different types of mark making with music and paint.
Level/age: all levels/age 15 and up
- water based paints such as acrylic, gouache, watercolor, or tempera – any you have hand, or a small kit, any choice of colors
- water soluble crayons in various colors
- plastic container for water
- paper towels
- palette, palette paper pad, or large paper plates for mixing colors
- brushes in several sizes
- palette knife
- canvases, canvas boards, or paper pad for water based painting, medium to large size
image: “River Series” (2015) watercolor and ink, by Arlene Santana Thornton. Image courtesy of the artist (copyright 2015).
Feedback on Arlene Santana Thornton as a teacher: “[The] class fulfilled my desire to break out of my usual way of seeing and hearing my surroundings. Arlene was an excellent enabler for me. Loved her approach for [my] inner being to unfold.”