Reimagining Region: The Hudson Valley has been a site of intersecting cultures, movement, migration, environmental innovation, and resettlement. Artists have depicted and responded to this for generations, creating a rich regional artistic heritage. In an upcoming juried show, the Art School of Columbia County is exploring the idea of region: its boundaries (real or perceived), the role of artists in documenting and defining region and identity, the concept of a regional school, and the connection between artists and community.
Artists age 18 and up living or working in within a 100 mile radius of Ghent NY, are invited to apply to ASCC’s juried regional show exploring the theme of Reimagining Region.
Works will be selected for artistic merit and how they explore and relate to the selected theme.
Selected artists may be chosen to participate in ASCC’s 5th annual ARTalks series, featuring a guided panel discussion and reception. Work in the exhibit will be viewed as part of an educational program on Saturday, April 6, “Slow Art Day,” an international day held to promote mindfulness and deep engagement with art in museums and educational institutions. An artists’ reception is April 6 from 5- 7 pm. The reception is free and open to the public and refreshments are served.
The jury panel is: TBA.
Deadline for entries is 11:59 pm February 20, 2019 (also postmark deadline).
- Notification of accepted artworks: March 4, 2019
- Drop-off of accepted artwork: Thursday March 28 9 am – 5 pm (preferred) or appointments available on Saturday March 30. If accepted, work must be hand delivered to and picked-up from ASCC. We are unable to accept shipped works or courier services which leave packing materials behind. Video installations must set-up and demonstrate work and provide written instructional sheet to ASCC staff.
- Reception: Saturday April 6 5-7 pm. All refreshments provided.
- Additional receptions for viewing work Sundays April 14 and 28 as part of ARTalks series.
- Pick-up: Thursday May 9 9 am – 6 pm or Saturday May 11 12- 4 pm
Application is free to current ASCC members and $15 for non-members. Joining as an ASCC member provides opportunities for 5 exhibits per membership year.
Work may be for sale: 70% to the artist, 30% to ASCC. NFS permitted, but no POR please.
- All applicants: first submit application fee via this page, join as a member, or submit indicating you are a current member.
- Email up to 5 works only as JPGS to: email@example.com subject line Juried Show 2019. 3-D work may submit one additional view of a submitted artwork. Video applicants: link to up to 5 works online.
- Include in the email up to 200 words stating how the body of submitted work relates to the theme of Reimagining Region.
- Attach your artist’s CV/resume
- Save/title all images as: artist first initial, last name and number: e.g. Jane Smith = jsmith_1.jpg, jsmith_2.jpg, etc.
- Images must be no larger than 1200 pixels on the largest side and at no less than 75 dpi (300 dpi recommended). The file size may not exceed 5MB.
- Within the body of the email, include for each work submitted the following details:
- Number of submission (e.g. 1-5)
- Year completed
By US Mail: print 8 x 10″ images of up to 5 works for consideration plus additional requested information to ASCC, 1198 Rt 21 C, Ghent NY 12075.
Please note that all accepted works must be stable, and framed/mounted and wired for wall hanging. For 3-D work and special installations, some pedestals are available at ASCC. In some cases, ASCC may ask artists to provide a plain white or off-white pedestal. Video installation must provide their own equipment for viewing (no online access onsite at ASCC). Please visit ASCC or call us for more information about our gallery spaces. In accordance with best curatorial practices, ASCC Board members and staff will not apply for consideration for juried shows.