Let’s get moving!
Columbia County has always been a place of people on the move, who have come from many places. And the people who make our community what it is are always on the move too. Plus our natural world is always changing around us.
We are exploring migration, movement, and memory in 2018.
Poets and poems we will use to get inspired and create art include:
- Elizabeth Bishop One Art (Hudson High School Program)
- Emily Dickinson, Dear March- Come In – [excerpt]
- Robert Frost, Dust of Snow and The Pasture
- Edna St. Vincent Millay, City Trees
- Phillis Wheatley – excerpts
- more poems and projects TBA
We will be making:
- up-cycled treasure boxes with a special message reflecting where we’ve been in our lives
- hand-made art books with a secret pocket for a message plus up-cycled pages and covers showing how materials come from many places in our world, and can be re-used
- a 3-D book with special pockets for messages and a place to collect natural treasures
- assemblages to show something we value or something that was lost
- trees that “blow” in the wind – using watercolors!
- and more
Schools we will be teaching in:
- Chatham MED Elementary School
- Hudson High School
- Kinderhook (Ichabod Crane) Primary School
- New Lebanon WBH Elementary School
Libraries we will be partnering with for our free art outreach programs – open to families
- Kinderhook Memorial Library
- Nassau Free Library
- Valatie Free Library
- Roe Jan Community Library
- Stephentown Library
- Philmont Library
- Claverack Library
- North Chatham Library
- New Lebanon Library
We are grateful to our community’s libraries for their partnership with ASCC to make these programs possible. These programs are made possible in part with funding from Humanities NY, Stewart’s Holiday Match Grant and public funds from the Decentralization Program of the NYS Council on the Arts, administered in Columbia County by the Greene County Council on the Arts through the Community Arts Grants Fund. Programs based in schools are funded in part by funds from the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation: the Chatham, Kinderhook, New Lebanon, and Hudson Art & Humanities Funds. All of the programs rely on the generous support of donors like you. Thank you.