Connecting words, art, and children, these free programs use both word and image-based learning paths so that students may be inspired to experience reading and art in an entirely new way. Our theme for 2017 is “art as intersection.” Families are welcome to attend.
These free programs are offered in partnership with public libraries throughout Columbia County and beyond and in schools. Pre-registration is suggested – please contact the libraries to pre-register.
- Grades K-2 program: Intersections: “places we can go, people we can meet” Inspired by Edna St. Vincent Millay’s poem “Travel” we will explore where a train can take us. We will write our own poem on the day and night sky, interspersed by bright, sparkly painted “cinders” (as in Millay’s poem).
- Grades K-2 program: Intersections: inspired by Emily Dickinson’s poem “The Railway Train” we will follow the path the train takes in her poem, and create illustrated scrolls of the unrolling landscape, with our own poem following the train’s path.
- Grades 3-6 program: Intersections: students will create 3-D assemblage map-and-sheet music sculptures inspired by Walt Whitman’s poem “I hear America Singing” or self-portraits framed by map-and-sheet music collages (check with library to see which program is offered)
- Grades 6-8 program: Intersections: students will create accordion books tied with ribbons, with watercolor landscapes vistas with their own poem written in the landscape. inspired by Edna St. Vincent Millay’s poem “Afternoon on a Hill.”
Free summer and early fall programs will be in the:
- Thursday August 10 5-7 pm Walt Whitman program (self portraits) grades 2-5
- Tuesday May 23 3:30-5:30 Grades 3-6 (ages 7-13) Learn about Walt Whitman, his times, and his poem “I Hear America Singing.” Create your own word-and-map inspired sculptures to take home. Please call the Germantown Library to preregister: 518-537-5800.
North Chatham Library
- Saturday September 16 11 am-12 pm Dickinson program for grades K-2
- Sunday Sept 17 4-6 pm Millay program for grades 6-8
Nassau Library – these programs have free take-home art kits in addition to the projects we will create during the program!
- Monday July 17 2:30-4:30 Millay program for grades 6-8
- Monday July 24 2:30-4:30 Walt Whitman program grades 3-6
New Lebanon Library
- Wednesday July 26 1:30-3:30 Walt Whitman (sculptures) for grades 3-6
- Tuesday August 8 1:30-2:30 Emily Dickinson for grades K-2
- Monday June 26 1-3 pm Walt Whitman program grades 3-6 (self portraits)
- Wednesday June 28 1-2 pm Millay program grades K-2
- Monday Aug 28 1-2 pm Emily Dickinson program grades K-2
Roe Jan Community Library
- Saturday Sept 23 10:30-11:30 Millay program grades K-2
- Saturday Sept 30 10:30-12:30 Millay program for grades 6-8
- Tuesday July 25 2-3 pm Emily Dickinson program grades K-2
- Tuesday Aug 1 2-4 pm Walt Whitman program grades 3-6 (self portraits)