As part of our “Art on Wheels” program, ASCC taught “Art in the Library” programs free of charge, and open to the public at the following libraries during the spring/summer of 2015:
- Chatham Public Library
- Chatham Elementary School Library
- Claverack Free Library
- North Chatham Public Library
- Valatie Free Library
- Over 100 children participated
- Over 20 parents volunteered or joined in the art programs
- 16 take-home kits with art supplies and poetry booklets were taken home and given to siblings and friends who could not attend
- over 90 books were checked out and taken home to read inspired by these programs.
- 2016: planning is in progress for over 20 programs to be offered for grades K-12.
Come Fly with Me for: grades 1-2 (click here for Come Fly with Me Poster Chatham)
Jabberwocky for grades 3-6 (click here for Jabberwocky Poster Chatham)
Pop-Up Books, for: grades 6-8 (click here for the Pop-Up Books Poster Chatham)
Beautiful Books for grades 9-12 (click here for Beautiful Books Poster Claverack)
The Art School also developed special take-home poetry selections and puppet kits for family reading over the summer for some programs.
These free programs were presented as part of “Art in the Library: a Pop-up Program” by faculty from the Art School of Columbia County in partnership with the Chatham Elementary School, Claverack Free Library, Chatham Public Library, North Chatham Public Library, and the Valatie Free Library made possible in part with public funds from the Decentralization Program of the NYS Council on the Arts, administered in Columbia County by the Greene County Council on the Arts through the Community Arts Grants Fund, and supported in part by funds from the New York State Library’s Family Literacy Library Services grant program. Additional funding was provided by the Chatham Education Foundation of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation and a MHLS Connecting, Collaborating and Contributing Mini-Grant supported by funds from the New York State Library’s Family Literacy Library Services grant program and generous donors from our community like you. Thank you.