The Art School of Columbia County’s mission is nurturing creativity and community through the visual arts, and our goal is “imagining art for everyone.” ASCC seeks to make its classes and programs accessible to persons of all ages, abilities and means throughout Columbia County and beyond.
Our approach to teaching art comes from diverse educational and theoretical approaches, and our faculty have honed their approach to teaching art through their own studio practice. We serve over 1000 community residents each year with free or affordable art programming out in our community.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, incorporated in New York State as the Art School of Columbia County (ASCC).
- Transformed the Old Schoolhouse into an art school.
- Established a Board of Directors.
- Created a Scholarship Fund to insure classes and workshops are available and accessible to both established artists and new artists regardless of means.
- Recruited a highly accomplished and skilled faculty.
- Started offering evening, daytime and weekend classes & workshops in July 2013.
- Hired our first Executive Director.
- Held semi-annual student-faculty art shows each fall and spring since November 2014.
- Host an annual series of three ARTalks (panel discussions featuring three working artists each, plus a pop-up exhibit of their work), starting in the winter of 2015.
- Started our free “Art in the Library: a Pop-Up Program” for students grades K-12 in the spring of 2015, continuing into 2017 with expanded programs throughout Columbia County.
- Free community art outreach programs for children & families at Chatham’s Summerfest 2015-2017.
- Present educational and interactive art exhibits year-round.
- We have taught programs for k-12 in the Chatham, Kinderhook, and Hudson School Districts, 2015-2017, and collaborated with the Taconic Hills School District on a Community Read program.
- Present our free “Art & Memories” programs for seniors in need, and those with Alzheimer’s and cognitive issues.
- We serve over 1000 members of our community annually with free and affordable art programming.
We have received grants from the following:
- The Bank of Greene County Charitable Foundation (multiple awards)
- Chatham Education Foundation of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation (multiple awards)
- The City Child Fund of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
- Decentralization Program of the NYS Council on the Arts, administered in Columbia County by the Greene County Council on the Arts through the Community Arts Grants Fund (multiple awards)
- First Niagara Bank
- Fund for Columbia County of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation (multiple awards)
- The Kinderhook Arts & Humanities Fund of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation (multiple awards)
- Kinderhook Bank Charitable Foundation
- MHLS Connecting, Collaborating and Contributing Mini-Grant supported by funds from the New York State Library’s Family Literacy Library Services
- New York Humanities (National Endowment for the Humanities)
- NYSEG and RG&E Small Business Energy Efficiency Program
- Stewart’s Holiday Match Program Grant (multiple awards)
Support the development of the Art School and make our vision a reality.